- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds white potatoes, sliced about 1/8″ thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is softened, which takes about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Combine the milk and chicken broth. Gradually add a small amount of this mixture at a time to the flour and butter mixture, whisking constantly to thicken the sauce. The mixture will become quite thick, so keep adding the liquid a little at a time while whisking until the sauce is smooth.
- Once all the liquid has been added, increase the heat to medium and bring the sauce to a boil while continuing to whisk. Stir in the salt and pepper and let it boil for 1 minute.
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish. Place 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the dish and season them with salt and pepper. Pour 1/3 of the cream sauce over the potatoes.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the cream sauce on top.
- Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and the potatoes are tender.
- If you want to achieve a golden top, broil for 3-4 minutes.
- Allow the dish to rest for 15 minutes before serving.