- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, water, and butter in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Lightly beat the egg.
- Pour the hot sugar mixture into the beaten egg in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Be careful not to let it boil.
Enjoy your homemade butterscotch sauce!