- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, undrained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup water, as needed
- Crumble the ground beef into a stockpot over medium-high heat; cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, which should take 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, and onion into the ground beef; cook and stir until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, tomato sauce, crushed whole tomatoes, undrained peas, corn, and green beans to the pot; season with black pepper. Stir the mixture until it’s evenly mixed. Add the thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Pour 1/4 cup water over the mixture if needed to moisten the mixture, replenishing as needed while cooking.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, place a cover on the pot, and cook, stirring regularly until the potatoes are tender, which should take about 1 hour.
Enjoy your hearty hamburger vegetable soup!