- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp (100g/3.5oz) butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 cup (180g/6.3oz) dark chocolate (50%)
- 1/2 cup (123ml) yogurt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (200g/7oz) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6g) instant coffee powder
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 + 1/4 cup (150g/5.3oz) flour (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- 1 tablespoon (14g) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups (400g/14oz) dark chocolate (50%)
- 1 and 2/3 cups (400ml) heavy cream
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, butter, instant coffee, dark chocolate, and sugar. Whisk until everything is nicely coated with milk.
- Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds, pausing to stir in between, to ensure it doesn’t burn. If you don’t have a microwave, you can use a double boiler (melt the ingredients over a bowl of hot water).
- Once melted, add yogurt and oil. Whisk until incorporated. Then, add 3 eggs and whisk them in for about 3 minutes until well mixed.
- Sift in the dry ingredients, including flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until the batter is smooth. Be careful not to overmix the batter; just mix until all the flour has disappeared and there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into two prepared 6-inch baking tins. Bake in a preheated 150°C (302°F) oven for one hour.
- Once baked, let the cakes cool in the pans for half an hour, then remove them from the pans and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- You will need 400 grams of heavy cream and 400 grams of dark chocolate. Pour the heavy cream over your chocolate.
- Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds, stirring in between until it is completely melted.
- After melting, the chocolate will be light and runny. Let it sit for about 3 to 5 hours for it to thicken well into a ganache. You can speed up the thickening process by placing it in the fridge.
- To decorate your cake, slice each cake into halves. Pour the ganache over each cake layer and use a spatula to even it to the edge of the cake.
- Continue this process for the remaining slices, and finish off with the remaining ganache, coating the outside of the cake.
- Cut into the cake, see what it looks like, and enjoy!
Enjoy your delicious homemade chocolate cake!