- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for a little heat)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
Dipping Sauce (Optional):
- Ketchup, ranch dressing, honey mustard, or your favorite dipping sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg until well beaten.
- Gradually add the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until a thick batter forms.
- Gently fold in the thawed corn kernels until they are evenly coated with the batter.
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C). You can test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small amount of batter into the oil; it should sizzle and float to the surface.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, carefully drop spoonfuls of the corn and batter mixture into the hot oil. Be cautious not to overcrowd the pan; fry in batches if necessary.
- Fry the corn nuggets for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon or spider strainer to remove the fried corn nuggets from the hot oil. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve the corn nuggets while they are hot and crispy, with your choice of dipping sauce on the side.
- Enjoy your homemade corn nuggets as a delicious snack, appetizer, or side dish.
Note: These corn nuggets are best enjoyed fresh and hot.