- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried)
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1 tsp sage (or 1 tsp fresh)
- 1 tsp onion powder
For the vegetables:
- 6-8 baby potatoes
- Small bag of carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Preparing the chicken:
- If the chicken has giblets, remove them. Wash the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Place half a lemon inside the chicken cavity.
- Tie the chicken’s legs together with kitchen twine and tuck the wings under the chicken.
- Season the whole chicken with salt and pepper.
For the herb butter:
- Combine butter, spices (thyme, rosemary, sage), and minced garlic in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients with a fork until smooth.
- Spread the herb butter mixture over the chicken by hand.
Roasting the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a glass casserole, Dutch oven, or cast iron skillet.
- Wash the potatoes and carrots, cut them in half, and dice the onion into chunks.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle them with garlic salt.
- Place the prepared vegetables around the chicken.
- Put the whole setup in the preheated oven and bake at 200°C for 45 minutes.
- When the chicken’s skin turns golden brown, cover it loosely with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. The total cooking time will be around 70-80 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious chicken!