- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Pastry cream
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of Arequipe or dulce de leche
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Cut the pastry dough into 3 strips along the folding marks. Place them on a baking sheet and make a couple of holes in each dough with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Let them cool on a rack.
- In a medium saucepan, place the milk and bring it to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the milk and cook, stirring frequently, for about 6 minutes or until it thickens. Beat the yolks and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vanilla extract and butter, then remove from heat.
- Let the pastry cream cool to room temperature, cover it, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using a fork, divide each baked pastry into 2 layers. Spread the pastry cream on one cake layer, then repeat the layers. Finish with a layer of Arequipe or dulce de leche.
Enjoy your delicious Arequipe Millefeuille!